Castello di Tassarolo azienda vitivinicola

History

The Tassarolo CastleTassarolo Castle from the air Our ancient grape press dated back to 1300 Pieter Paul Rubens, portrait of Brigida Spinola The Spinola coat of arms

The Spinola family has owned the Tassarolo castle since the 14th Century. It was built around a Roman tower built in 250 A.D. and has been enlarged and renovated several times since, particularly during the Renaissance. The slightly separated structure on the lower left is the mint, where the Spinolas minted money until the 17th Century.

In a report commissioned by the Emperor Ferdinad III in 1656 on his imperial fiefs the castle of Tassarolo is mentioned as belonging to Count Filippo Spinola:

It is a beautiful and strong castle, five miles from Seravalle. It has about eighty hearths (families), but not subordinates. There is good wine, every sort of bread, a good quantity of hay, meat and every kind of cheese...
(from the State Archives, Vienna).

The Spinola Family

The Spinola family, one of oldest in Europe, dates back to the 8th Century, In terms of importance comparable with the Medici in Florence, it numbers ship-owners, cardinals, doges of the Republic of Genoa, bankers and army generals among its past and present members.

Tassarolo Castle rises at the centre of the ancient forts which once defended the large estates belonging to the Spinola family, Spinolino state.

For many centuries as emissaries of the Austrian-Hungarian Emperor the Spinola family used these forts to control the only road between the Republic of Genoa and the European continent. Their economy was based on the tolls raised on the rights of passage.

Large sums of money were collected and the Spinola family financed numerous enterprises and expeditions. Christopher Columbus was engaged by the Spinola Company in Lisbon and the Spinola family contributed to half of the costs of his journey to the discovery of America.

The Spinola "coat of arms"

The main symbol of the coat of arms are the double facing eagles from the Greater Roman empire which stretched from the West to the East. The Crown atop the eagles heads represent the Austrian-Hungarian Empire of which the Spinola family were emissaries of the emperor, with their own crown of the Marquis above the shield. The chequered stripe across the board dates back to the first Spinola whom emigrated from Germany around 750 A.D. The right eagles claw clutches the symbol of the Papacy and the world whereas the left claw clutch a sword and scimitar which were an indication of the power of command.

The name Spinola is represented by the symbol of a Spigot (Spina di botte), on the upper part of the shield, which were used to draw wine from the oak casks and an indication of the ancient tradition of wine making that continues in the family Spinola to this day.

 
Fondazione Spinola